Wednesday 26 September 2012

Wax crayon sun catchers

Over the past two weeks J and I have been doing quite a few different Autumnal activities which have either consisted of things we have done previously, or have been similar to things that we have done previously.  I like to try new things with the children, and generally they enjoy doing new activities too, so with that in mind I decided that we would have a go at making wax crayon sun catchers.

J and I chose some crayons in Autumnal colours and then after a brief explanation as to why we have to be careful, J set about grating the crayons onto a sheet of greaseproof paper.  This took a while!

Once we had enough grated wax I put a second sheet of greaseproof paper over the wax and with the iron on the lowest setting (and with J removed from the very immediate vicinity) I ironed the wax gratings until they melted.  J was amazed at the blob that we created!  I however wasn't - I had hoped for something pretty, but we had used far too much dark coloured wax and it just looked horrid!  So we tried again with much brighter colours which produced a much nicer melted blob!

We covered the wax to clear contact paper on both sides, I punched two holes and J helped me to thread a ribbon through the holes so that he could hang his sun catcher up - all we need now is some sun!







No comments:

Post a Comment